Monday 18 July 2011

Danes Hill Young Musicians Rock Concert

Dear Dave    cc: Ross

VIDEO RESULTS - BRIEF REPORT

Thanks for inviting me to take a Video of the "Young School Kids" Rock Concert.

First of all not in my wildest dreams did I expect to witness such a great performance of such young musicians and to be told, only rehearsed over 4 days. This was quite special.

The only failure, I must have to admit was that the quality of my video did not meet the required standards and should not be released for the young musicians parents, as it does not do justice, and now that I know of your high standards requirements, I would certainly need a better video camera and equally some planning would have to be done in advance of the final performance, e.g. I would love to attend a rehearsal and take notes of all the various individual performances to help plan panning etc. This would never be a problem and I would do it with pleasure (after all its all in the family and before long I hope to see Molly and Jacob performing).

As you have seen the full video clip yesterday, you know that the required quality has not been met for general release and though you politely said it was ok, I am aware it is not for which I convey my apologies as I have learnt I need the right tools to do the job well.

As for the sound quality, regretfully, without a proper PA system did not do justice to all the singers, though listening to them singing live sounded good. You did mention the PA was out for servicing.

As the music room is not too large makes it difficult to capture all the entertainers action in the restricted space. One would need a step ladder to stand higher up thus being able to pan and capture the performers in the best possible way. Perhaps from the top level on the other side where you and Ross were standing would have been better position for taking videos.

Lighting needs to be improved and perhaps some colour spots or sound to light would add to the presentation. Overhead spots have to be positioned correctly.

Last but not least, you would should use the entire room using more of the back end instead of the middle/centre of the room, this would give more space for the video man whoever it may be to manouver a bit more freely.

As the end result was no good on this occasion, I recommend that the videos I am going to put on DVD's for Ross, (2 seperate videos taken with two video cameras), should only be viewed by yourselves and perhaps for your young talented musicians and NOT for general release to parents. Consider it a trial/training session.

Next time you plan to host another concert, and need some help, let me know in time and I will borrow a proper quality video camera. I would also help with PA and other requirements if needed.

P.S. Whilst the show was going on and whilst my video cameras were running, I took short clips of some of the performers with my little pocket Sony camera just to compare video quality. These brief clips are attached at the bottom but you will notice as I was moving around with the hand held camera resulted in camera shakes. The other two main videos were on tripods and steady.

Prior to the main performance, I took a few random photos of the musicians, (taken without permission) so be aware that this video is not to be released as it may break your school rules.

All told, I enjoyed myself and admired the talents of such young kids who were so relaxed and performed brilliantly. Their parents must surely feel proud of them and I can see many of the kids will continue to enjoy playing and entertaining as they grow up.

Hopefully some may perform on  "BRITAIN HAS TALENT".

Wishing them all the very best. Keep up the great teaching.

Regards
Benny


CLICK ON ANY PHOTOGRAPH TO VIEW FULL SIZE.













VIDEO CLIP SLIDE SHOW OF PHOTOS
TAKEN DURING REHEARSAL.

VIDEO CLIP 1


SHORT VIDEO CLIPS OF LIVE PERFORMANCE
VIDEO CLIP 2






VIDEO CLIP 3
VIDEO CLIP 4




No comments:

Post a Comment